Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Exploding the Moment (no pun intended)

I sit next to my little girls, Payton 2 and Brooke-Lynn 7 months.  The oldest gets up and starts to play.  Grabbing a toy, she laughs and says “dad look”.  As she runs with her toy the youngest sitting next to me grabs for her toes lying inside her footed pajamas.  As I move my head close to Brooke-Lynn’s asking her “are those your toes” she smiles.  I take breaths an involuntary action; my nose notices an odor, a familiar odor an unwelcome odor to me.  I think to myself, again really.  I clear a spot for my little excrement machine on the floor.  Heading for the bedroom to retrieve a new diaper and wipes.  Opening the door on the cabinet I pull out a fresh diaper, double-checking making sure it’s the right size.  Payton comes in to see what daddy is doing, checking her bottom while right there, noticing it will be a double changing.  Walking down the hall with Payton, asking her why she didn’t go on the big girls potty.  Entering the living room and Brooke-Lynn is not where I left her.  She rolled to the other side of the room laughing.  Putting Brooke-Lynn on the changing pad, I unbutton her outfit, pulling the straps on the diaper and find the source of the entire stink.  Brooke-Lynn wants to kick her free legs and laugh at me as I try to keep her from kicking her feet in to the waste.  Payton stands close by watching, waving her hand in front of her nose going “eww”.  Proceeding to open the wipes container, pulling out one wipe I start to clean the little bottom.  The wipes use has been exhausted placed in the used diaper a new one is used.  Inspection shows it to be clean but raw, bag balm is need.  Moving quickly to put bag balm on my little ones bum.  I place the new, fresh diaper under her bottom and begin to pull the straps over.  Placing her little chunky legs back into her pajamas.  Snapping them back up one by one all along talking to Brooke-Lynn.  Payton laughs, she knows it'd her turn now.

I place Payton on the changing pad next.  She puts up a little more of a fight.  Laughs as she gives me a hard time.  Unzipping her pajama’s, unsnapping her oneise I get to the diaper.  I start all over with the changing.  Payton in her little garbled talk she asks questions I try to answer.  I clean her bottom, placing a clean diaper under her.  I pull the straps, button her oneise, placing her feet back into her pajamas.  The zipper goes up.  I ask her to help clean up the mess as to help teacher that messes must go.  I throw out the dirty diapers and play with my kids.

*A while back I was to write and expound about a moment in life, I picked a moment with my kids.  I thought it would be appropriate seeing that I was to "Explode the Moment", so why not discuss something that, at times seem like a small explosion went off.

No comments:

Post a Comment